Are you ready to open up literacy experiences for your students with complex communication needs? Join educators in Washington State who believe that reading and writing are possible for students with complex communication needs. During this two-day retreat we will gather as small groups to explore evidenced based strategies for emergent literacy learners paired with assistive technology and AAC tools to create inclusive literacy opportunities.
Using technology and evidence based strategies with existing curriculum content and books, we will examine lesson plans and determine how to create engaging literacy opportunities for students with complex needs. We will use best practices for literacy instruction, including reading, word work, writing and more, to design experiences that allow every student to participate and show their learning.
Participants will be given time to learn about and explore light tech and high tech AT/AAC tools and literacy strategies and are urged to bring upcoming lessons/units/books and collaborate with others to create shared activities. SETC will provide iPads, Chromebooks, AAC, light tech literacy kits, and other AT for alternative access and supplies for make and take light tech tools.
Join us to collaborate in a unique professional learning community where you will create shared literacy resources and leave with AT/AAC tools to borrow and try in your classroom.
- Collaboratively develop a collection of literacy activities shared among participants
- Develop “make and take” light tech supports such as an alternative pencil, light tech AAC board, eye gaze frame and electronic literacy/AAC supports with Canva.
- Learn how to use AT/AAC tools and strategies to support the existing classroom literacy instruction.
- Ellensburg – 1007 N. Chestnut St. Ellensburg, WA 98926
- Bellingham – Hill Crest Church, 1400 Larrabee Ave. Bellingham, WA 98225
- Kitsap – 18920 4th Avenue NE Poulsbo WA 98370
|day 1||nov. 9th|
|10:00-10:45||Local Literacy Discussion|
|11:00-12:00||Modeling Literacy Activity Planning|
|1:00- 1:30||Poster Walk of Literacy Instructional Strategies and Tools|
|1:30- 4:00||Literacy Activity Planning and Collaboration|
|day 2||nov. 10th|
|9:00-10:00||Literacy Activity Smackdown|
|10:00-10:20||Canva Literacy & AAC|
|10:30-10:50||Clicker Literacy & AAC|
|10:50-11:00||Apps and tools for CVI|
|11:00- 11:30||Local Literacy Discussion- Tools|
|11:30-1:00||Lunch (on your own)|
|1:00-3:30||Planning, Make and Take Literacy Activities and Tools|
- Day 1 – $75 per person
- Both days $150 per person